Microwave Steamed Broccoli for one in just 2 minutes. Perfectly crisp tender, forget mushy frozen broccoli!
Put some fiber back in your diet and a pep in your step by making yourself some healthy and delicious Broccoli. It goes with pretty much everything and you don’t have to deal with a pot of stinky Broccoli water when you’re all done. If you’re looking for more Side Dish recipes, like our Perfect Microwave Steamed Rice (for one!), you’re in luck, we have awesome sides.
MICROWAVE STEAMED BROCCOLI
Has it been literal years since you ate something green that wasn’t dyed that color? Is your doctor actually worried about you? Don’t worry, you can eat healthier really easily and cheaply. You can steam fresh Broccoli in your microwave without even having to get those weird steam-able packs from the store.
Broccoli is full of fiber, vitamins C and K, iron and potassium. It can also help you digest other foods, so if you’re planning on a weekend filled with cheeseburgers and hot sauce, you may want to pregame with something to help you out. Trust us, you’ll thank us afterward.
HOW TO MAKE MICROWAVE STEAMED BROCCOLI
- Place broccoli in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH STEAMED BROCCOLI
Broccoli is the ultimate side since it goes with pretty much anything. Making a pork chop? Serve it with Broccoli! Heating up leftover fried chicken? Serve it with Broccoli! Trying out a new Keto diet and need something filling to go with your turkey slices? Broccoli! Do you really, really need some greens in your life that aren’t on top of a pizza? Broccoli!
DELICIOUS MEALS TO EAT WITH YOUR BROCCOLI:
VARIATIONS ON STEAMED BROCCOLI
- Spices: Naked Broccoli is sad Broccoli. Add some spices to it to give it a little life. Add herb butter, Cajun spices, Italian spices, or even just a little garlic or onion powder and stir it up well.
- Toppings: If you have leftover red pepper flakes or parmesan peppers from the last pizza you ordered, you can top your Broccoli with it. You can also melt butter and drizzle it over the top. You don’t have to stop there, though. You can add a layer of cheddar cheese to make it even more creamy and delicious.
PLATE IT UP
Broccoli is a simple dish, but that’s no reason not to spruce it up a little. Pour it into a bowl and cut a piece of butter onto the top. The yellow with the green creates a pleasant color palette, and the creaminess of the butter creates a delicious flavor palate. It’s a win-win.
SAVE SOME FOR LATER
Cool story: Broccoli can stink up a fridge really fast, especially if it’s cooked and then left to sit in its own water. Prevent your fridge from getting stinky (and your roommate from rightfully yelling at you) by completely sealing your leftovers in a bag or with plastic wrap. The Broccoli will reheat really easily and it will stay good for up to a week. After that, just throw it out and make some more.
$: Seriously, all you need to make this recipe is a couple of Broccoli florets and you’re good to go. You can usually get a good amount of Broccoli for fairly cheap, so depending on how fancy you want to get with it, you can make this meal for under $5.
- 1,000 watts or higher: Higher wattage, lower cook time. Our microwave is about 1,250 watts, but if you have one with about 1,000 watts you will want to heat the Broccoli for 3:36 to 4:48 minutes.
- 700 watts: Microwaves under about 900 don’t heat things evenly or consistently, so don’t go anywhere while you’re cooking. Cook for 5:09 to 6:51 minutes, and keep an eye n it to make sure it ends up tender and not burned.
Microwave Steamed Broccoli
- 2 cups broccoli florets , rinsed
- Place wet broccoli in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until tender.