Microwave French onion soup is a quick yet rich onion soup topped with croutons and shredded Swiss cheese made in less than 20 minutes.
Just because you don’t have an oven doesn’t mean that you can’t cook yourself something fancy and gourmet. French onion soup is an impressive dish that you can whip up in no time.
MICROWAVE FRENCH ONION SOUP
Do you have a taste for the finer things in life but don’t have the cash flow to back it? You can make your own delicious French onion soup in a microwave (yes, really), and it’s actually not very hard to do. You just need a flat space where you can chop your ingredients, a microwavable bowl and an empty stomach.
How to make Microwave French Onion Soup
- Peel cut in half and slice onions and set aside.
- Place butter in your trusty cereal bowl.
- Microwave at HIGH until melted, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add onion slices, tossing to coat.
- Cover and microwave on high 6-8 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring at least twice.
- Blend in broth, water, sugar, wine and pepper.
- Cover and microwave on HIGH until heated through about 8 minutes.
- Add in your croutons and top with shredded Swiss cheese.
- Microwave for 2 minutes.
SAVE SOME FOR LATER
Don’t worry if you can’t finish it all, your soup won’t go to waste. You can store it in the fridge for about 4 days before it gets too weird. Also, you should toss the French bread and prepare a new slice when you’re ready to eat it or it will get super mushy and dissolve.
$$: You’re gonna need fresh onions, beef broth, French bread, sugar, wine and pepper. The only parts that are going to be expensive are the French bread and wine. If you want something fancy, French bread can add up fast and the wine sort of goes without saying.
- 1,000 watts or higher: Higher wattage, lower cook time. Our microwave is about 1,250 watts, but if you have one with about 1,000 watts you will want to cook this recipe like this. Start by microwaving the butter for 1:38, then when you cook the onions you should set the time to 6:30-8:30. Once you’ve blended in the broth, the cook time should be 8:30. To finish it up, cook it for 8:30.
- 700 watts: Microwaves under about 900 don’t heat things evenly or consistently, so don’t go anywhere while you’re cooking. Your cook times will be 2:43, 10:17-13:47, and 13:37.
Microwave French Onion Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10.5 ounces beef broth , (this is 1 can)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon burgundy wine , optional (but I know we drank wine in college)
- 1/2 cup croutons
- 1/4 cup Swiss cheese , shredded
- Slice onion and add it to your cereal bowl along with the butter, salt and pepper.
- Microwave at high until melted, about 1 minute then stir the onions to make sure they are coated in the butter.
- Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave on high 6-8 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring at least twice.
- Blend in broth, water, sugar and wine.
- Microwave on high heat for 6 minutes, covered with a wet paper towel.
- Add the croutons and top with shredded Swiss cheese.
- Microwave for 2 minutes, let cool slightly before eating.