Microwave Rocky Road Candy is the all-terrain version of classic Rocky Road Ice cream: Nutty and crunchy imbedded in thick chocolate.
Rocky Road Candy is one of the most delicious candies that you can make in a microwave. It’s full of crunchy, chunky goodness and is covered with a thick layer of chocolate, making it one of the tastiest midnight snacks you can whip up.
MICROWAVE ROCKY ROAD CANDY
We’ve all had that midnight chocolate craving that there’s no cure for other than munching on something rich, crunchy, chocolatey and delightfully sugary. The best thing to make to placate these cravings a sheet of Rocky Road Candy.
Seriously, it’s one of the tastiest treats, it lasts well in the fridge, and you get the tactile satisfaction of breaking off pieces with a loud “crack!” It’s pretty much ASMR.
A great thing about Rocky Road Candy is that you can break it up into little pieces, put it in a pretty bag and hand it out as a holiday treat to your friends in class, your roommate, or even to the dorm floor leader to apologize for the incident that no one wants to talk about.
SERVE ROCKY ROAD CANDY WITH
Rocky Road Candy is amazing a topping for ice cream, yogurt, and even oatmeal. Crumble it up and toss it with some pretzels, and granola for some instant gourmet trail mix, with out the fancy price tag.
VARIATIONS ON ROCKY ROAD CANDY
- Nuts: If peanuts aren’t your thing, or maybe they are but you want more, try almonds or cashews. If you want some explosive flavor, try seasoned nuts like smokey almonds or honey roasted peanuts.
- Caramel: You can melt some caramels and drizzle over the candy as it sets. You can also cut up some small caramels and add them in, or substitute them for the marshmallow.
- Chocolate: Make a double decker by spreading a layer of melted white chocolate in your pan, then once it hardens, make the recipe as usual and spread over the white chocolate layer.
SAVE SOME FOR LATER
You can keep it at room temperature as long as it’s wrapped up. It will last at room temperature for about 2 days, but it can get a little bit melty. Ideally, you should keep the Rocky Road Candy in the fridge wrapped up, and it will stay good for about a week.
$: You don’t need a ton of ingredients, and what you do need is pretty cheap, so this is absolutely the dessert of champions. Even if you decide to add other ingredients it’s still an easy dessert you can share with a whole group of people!
- 1,000 watts or higher: Higher wattage, lower cook time. Our microwave is about 1,250 watts, but if you have one with about 1,000 watts you will want to cook your candy for abut 1:00, then again until it’s the right consistency.
- 700 watts: Microwaves under about 900 don’t heat things evenly or consistently, so don’t go anywhere while you’re cooking. Cook the candy for about 1:43 but keep an eye on it.
Microwave Rocky Road Candy
- 2 cups dry roasted peanuts
- 7 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper.
- Add peanuts and marshmallows to one bowl.
- In a microwave safe bowl add chocolate chips, butter and sweetened condensed milk.
- Microwave the chocolate mixture for 90 seconds, remove and stir then microwave again for another 90 seconds.
- Remove form microwave and stir constantly until chocolate chips are completely melted.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix together the peanuts, marshmallows and cooled chocolate mixture, then add into prepared pan and chill for 2 hours in refrigerator.